On August 1, 1903, when the De La Salle Christian Brothers opened St . Joseph’s Academy Grammar School (est. 1870 in Oakland) for boys at the Peralta Park Hotel in North Berkeley, there were about five homes in the immediate vicinity of the campus. By 1925, when plans to move Saint Mary’s High to Berkeley from the campus it shared with Saint Mary’s College in Oakland got underway, there were about forty. Today, more than 125 homes border the campus. Begun in 1994, in part as a requirement of the City of Albany and as a courtesy to neighbors, Saint Mary’s sends a newsletter/calendar at least twice each year, currently to about 700 nearby addresses. Complete school calendar information is easily accessible on the Saint Mary’s web site, which neighbors are encouraged to visit for up-to-date information .
Use the links below to view the current newsletter and samples of past newsletters in PDF format.
Follow Saint Mary’s News in the Berkeley Times and on Albany and Berkeley Patch community web sites.
Pictured: Early Berkeley streetcar to Town Hall, Peralta Park, and West Berkeley (Berkeley Historical Society)